Friday, January 10, 2020

2020 book reading attitudes


I do confess that I have a lot of unread books. A lot of them are purchased, even larger number are downloaded, and some are bookmarked.
[ Some of them are not books at all but are courses on coursera (indy), udemy (portillo), complexity explorer, youtube, mit-ocw .,udacity ....  but we'll ignore this for now]

All of them share the condition of being partially, or even wholly unread.
So I propose a solution. The solution is designed to work for tiny snatches of time, and also compensating for mood.
Stick a piece of paper in each book. As you run by it, write a short summary or precis, or failing that memorise and  write down the table of contents. When the water clears, capture them in a blog post, and throw away the paper. Label that post . Add a new piece of paper to the book.
With a tiny bit of  effort, grazing will now have some output.

Having got that out of my mind, here is my reading list for now:
Weinberg - Introduction to General Systems Thinking
Weinberg - Secrets of Consulting
Grobmeier - The Zen Programmer

Things like Forrester, Senge, Hofstadter have been relegated to tangentially relevant. So is calculus, economics, microeconomics etc. All B list books merit a piece of paper and blog commentary.

All A list books merit reading and assimilating - words that I don't know how to actualise.

The nice thing here is writing as a means of capturing thoughts as a prelude to action. My writing can be inexact and incorrect and non-factual, and still conform to a structure in  my head and hence be of value to me .
  Maybe if I can mumble enough, I can use my other blog to structure the  noise into threads of logic so that can eventually distil into a real world portfolio of projects and reputation, moolah and leisure time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home