Monday, April 03, 2023

In 2000 a batch-mate wrangled a summer internship in HP. took me along as a sidekick.

Once there, we make a Bug reporting tool . These were glorious days . Front-end meant writing HTML code via the out.println of the servlet, and we manipulated the back-end directly via  JDBC . With my extensive experience in C programming ( 2 hrs max) , I wrote code to create a JDBC connection every time the 'function' was called. An HP employee tried very hard to teach me relational database cocnepts, and chided me when  I dropped tables left and right.  Another reviewed my code, and with a distressed expression,  exclaimed "You've written it like C" ... he felt the same pain as though someone had put petrol in his diesel car and driven it..


Lunch as Ă…LWAYS channa batoora at a chat shop nearby, I would get to office taking two buses, smoking in between the change. Cigarettes were 1- 2 rs each


Things haven't changed much, code-wise... 

Day in and day out I have cursed OOP. It has always been a case of over-engineering. It's nice to have a parent class cover the complexity of the  core domainf and then the child classes extend the behaviour ,adding sub-domain functionality. yet, this only works if you have complete domain knowledge up front. if you get the perspective wrong while starting, you'll be forever throwing away your classes.

procedural seems saner in this light.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home