Saturday, December 23, 2023

 Text beats video. For inception, that is .Video is pre-manifested, in the idylls of the time,  or else can't be consumed,  but text is clean, and cold.

I was searching through the anime titles on netflix for something to see. I usually avoid netflix originals, because they have the 'sizzle of the steak none of the nutrition', more so for prime originals - case in point - the panda series on prime i watched a bit and dropped them but the ones on netflix were actually very good, even though they were built on the tropes of the first move (panda likes to eat, is clumsy, doesn't speak like a trained dedicated follower of the 'way' etc) .  I couldn't find a single anime that wasn't a mix of magic and tech, like it's almost always a demon or vampire or ghost working in a futuristic cybernetic city against robot cops or something.  As I wondered why the visuals were almost always variations on a theme, the answer came to me - video content has to CONFORM to the mores of the era, text not so much - since text is a cold medium (thank you McLuhan) , the reader brings into it their own imagined universe, and hence rarely sees a political-correctness violating offensive ... thing.. unless specifically written in. The reader remains a reader, and doesn't become a censor easily.

Therefore, the medium for imagination and inception and, when need be, spreading revolutionary ideas, is text.

I will read the Gutenberg Galaxy one day.

ps : I eat my words. Reacher is commendably watchable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home