Tuesday, December 05, 2023

oh no it's that meng guy again

 


took me a long time to map the face on to the humor

first, it was the jokes on the oh no! site. they irrevocably started me down the path of zen and buddhism. they were a sublime mix of extreme reverence and tongue-in-cheek pragmatism.

 I downloaded web pages on the lankavatara sutra and sayings of zen master lin chi . then there was a binge on shinzen young videos and articles. much knowledge was gained.  three blog posts by defmacro.org , (not lisp )but no practice.

the clip above from the original SIY talk - the three lines of which the above is the third - nailed compassion for me. I always claimed to be more empathetic than typical, but this line provided me with a working tool whose power I have seen in use

joy on demand is a revolutionary book on technique, with the one breath approach, and one i hope to benefit from greatly. Ajahn Brahm's MB&B book is great but is full of theory, while JoD coddles you and indulges you. both are gems, no doubt about it, after one you'll need the other

the original jokes are available on the wayback machine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home