Monday, September 12, 2005

the catcher

I'm standing on the over-bridge watching the traffic below.
It's 8 pm, and dark. I'm checking out my new camera. Taking
a couple of snaps of the traffic below. I turn to go back, and
start walking and see a car slow down in the dark section
of the road in front of me . Blinking lights go on on it's roof .
It's a cop , and he's stopping for me.

My first thought is that I'm carrying no id.

The cop gets out of the car, closes the door and walks around
to the front.
One part of my mind picks up on the fact that he took time
to close the car door, and easily too . Not like he's in a hurry.
Or tensed . Definitely not itching to draw. I semi-relax and walk
towards the front of the car.

If I'd my lines rehearsed, it'd be "Officer ? something wrong ? "
As it is, I wear a foolish grin.

















Dark shirt, crew cut. Blue -red lights from his car play on his face.

"You okay ?" , he asks
"Yes !!", I say
"What're you doing here ?"
"Taking snaps"
"Of what ? "
"Of the traffic"
He almost smiles. Looks around. and says
"Well, I thought you were jumping"

That floors me. I affect surprise. I'm tickled pink at the idea.

"Not me !!" I say, grinning
He looks around to the cars waiting behind his parked car.
"Well, get moving" he says, and walks back to his car.

Maybe he was driving by on one of his patrols. Maybe someone
called on their cell-phone and he came by to check.

It felt good.

The system had spoken. And it said that maybe I'm worth something.
That I belong.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was that the pic u took.. or off the web... seemed like u were borrowing the idea from someone..

why does human good-ness show up only in the face of extreme situations or near extreme situations...or should we be thankful for even that...

-P

11:05 PM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger yesbob said...

that was one of the pics i took.
who am I supposed to be borrowing from ? pray do tell ...

11:27 PM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger yesbob said...

:)) Hey !! I was just taking snaps !!
script-writing ? lol.
You got it right. The title IS from your pet author.

12:10 AM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger cactusjump said...

u need some random cop to tell u ur worth something?? after all the comments we've posted have worn our fingers down? lol! have a good one k.

12:34 AM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger yesbob said...

random . random !!

3:35 AM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger En Jay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:05 AM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger En Jay said...

lol.

the snap doesn't look like what i'd expected it to look like.

7:08 AM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger Aslan said...

good one dude! :-D hehe well.. so u were drunk, eh? nice cops there. here in KL for instance, the guy'd probly have asked u to jump off instead of takin' pics.. no kidding! :p

4:40 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Aslan said...

but i didn't like 'catcher in the rye' all that much. tho its a novel effort, its like some book for losers..

4:42 PM, September 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amusing, that :)

~kartik

11:10 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger yesbob said...

kuts : is that Kuala Lumpur ? what ARE you doing there ?
~kartik : coming from you, that's high praise indeed !!

7:35 AM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Aslan said...

sorry dude.. looks like ur a li'l too "global" for me these days! :( by KL, i meant good ol' kerala.. have u 4go10 those licence plates?!

11:20 PM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home